Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Arrogant Argument

This is the first in a series of posts about various arguments I've heard used as either defenses of religion or attacks against Atheism. These posts are designed to give my non-believing brethren some more tools and strategies in the ongoing battles with the religious. We did not start this fight, but we will defend ourselves. Hopefully, this will help you in an argument, forcing the opposition on the defensive.

Enjoy.

A while back I was watching some YouTube clip in which some Christian minister made a comment about how Atheists are "Arrogant" because we don't believe God created us in his own image.

Let me see if I get this straight...

I'm arrogant because I don't believe that I'm not created by God. The creator of the Universe. Of Everything.

For the sake of argument, let's say that there is a God, that it created you, me, and everything in the Universe. I'm not going to argue the time, be it 6 days, 6,000 years, or Billions of years.

The Universe is Freaking Big. Over 50 Billion Galaxies. Each with over a Trillion stars. Theoretically, 10 percent of those could have planets around them, and 10 percent of those could have life. Each of those could potentially have Trillions of lifeforms.

Let's break down the numbers.

[(.1*.1*1 Trillion) Number of potential planets with life in a galaxy] * [(2 Trillion * 50 Billion) Potential lifeforms on a planet times Number of galaxies]
10 Billion * 2 Trillion * 50 Billion = 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 potential lifeforms in the known Universe. That is 10^33. That is more than a Metric Assload. That is a Billion times a Billion times a Billion times a Billion times a little more.

Now, not only did God create all of this, but in his spare time (I'll address the use of pronouns later on) listens in on your most intimate and innermost thoughts, communicates with you, and actually cares about who or what you want to have sex with. Apparently your thoughts are so important to the Great Maker that you think its more important that God gives counsel to you on what type of car to buy than doing things like keeping entire civilizations from being wiped out, keeping planets revolving around stars, and keeping the Great Space Dragon from eating the sun.

And I'm the arrogant one?

Note: I often refer to God as a male. I realize that this is somewhat sexist, and that I should not use the male gender unless necessary. If it would make you feel better if I referred to God as a woman, I will. But guess what, God is an imaginary character. We don't argue about the Tooth Fairy being a man or woman, or whether or not the Easter Bunny is a boy or a girl. They're all fake.

No comments:

Post a Comment